Monday, 04 May 2020 07:05

COVID-19 (May 4)

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Parents/Players

This past week ball hockey leagues from across the province had a 3 hr conference call to discuss their thoughts of where we as a sport are and where we are possibly heading. 

Everyone agreed that if the go ahead is given, we would all try to run as full a season as possible under the time restrictions we will have, but more importantly as safe as possible for all involved, of course for that to happen many things will need to go right in the upcoming weeks. We also have discussed running some tournament format events like provincials in late July or early August if we have the ability to.

Since my last email, the city of Kitchener did reach out to discuss where we are at and if we were to get the go ahead how would we proceed, I told them we and the majority of our players/families are still hopeful that we can play at some point, I also have come up with some ideas to add extra precautions if the arenas were to reopen, things like a 30 min buffer between games, no use of dressing rooms, or if we use the buffer, we can actually use 2 dressing rooms per team, as well as some other ideas,  if/when we get going we want to be ready and be safe for all the players. We all know that it will be different than what we have all been use to.

As you are aware the provincial government has started very slowly and cautiously  to lift the restrictions and will be adding more and more to their list as time moves forward, will this include opening arenas? We don't know, but if they do, we will be ready to offer a season, as long as we all feel it is safe to do so. 

We ask everyone remain  patient and we will make a further decision after the May long weekend, at that point we will have a better idea of where the region, province and country are.

We start the groundwork months ago that is needed to run the ball hockey league and has incurred operating costs that may not be refunded to our league-operating budget. Uniforms and other supplies are ordered and paid for in January

KWMBHL is a not for profit business that does not carry a cash surplus from year to year. We try to keep our annual registration fees at strict budgeted numbers so we can pass on to our members a fair registration fee. 

No one could have imagined the impact on our world that Covid 19 has placed on us but we will get through this together. We will look at applying refunds, but only when we know our exact liabilities incurred are final. Each refund will be done by the same method as you paid and should be done shortly after we find out if the season is cancelled. 

I am also looking to find out if any grants/loans are available to minor sports to help cover costs that we have incurred to date, and hopeful that we will be able to receive some financial help to cover the out of pocket expenses we have at this point.

We understand that the later this goes, that playing might not work for some families and we ask that everyone remain patient as we work this all out in the coming weeks, we will deal with everyone at the same time once we have come to a final decision, one way or the other.

So again please be patient and I will be in touch as we get more information.

Also please follow along on our facebook page as i will add info there as it becomes available

Stay safe everyone

Dave

 

Read 235 times Last modified on Monday, 04 May 2020 21:10
More in this category: « COVID-19 Update - CBHA